Prominently located on the Iowa State University campus, Marston Hall has been home to the College of Engineering since its completion in 1903. Incremental renovations over the first 110 years of its life had not been guided by any overall building vision. What was needed was a radical building transformation, allowing this historic building to accommodate 21st century technology and new teaching and working paradigms.
The building contains 65,449 gross square feet of space on four levels. The renovation maintained the historic limestone building exterior and entirely replaced the building interior. This allowed functional challenges in the building, including accessibility, technology integration, sustainability, to be seamlessly integrated into the design.
The renovated building provides state-of-the-art learning and work environments and reorganized the building programming, placing student-focused spaces on the lower levels and administrative spaces on the upper levels.
The project was awarded Gold LEED Certification in 2017.
Distinguished Award in Interiors, 2019
American Institute of Architects - Central States Region
Iowa Architect, Fall 2017